Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My First Publication!

I wanted to wait until actually seeing it in print before announcing my first publication:

Brian C. Small, "The Use of Rhetorical Topoi in the Characterization of Jesus in the Book of Hebrews." Perspectives in Religious Studies 37.1 (Spring 2010): 53-69.

Here is an abstract of the article:

"This essay examines how the author of Hebrews employs rhetorical topoi to develop the characterization of Jesus. Aelius Theon’s Progymnasmata and Cicero’s De Inventione provide lists of the properties or attributes of persons which can be used in the argumentation of epideictic speeches. By utilizing the rhetorical topoi derived from these lists, a taxonomy is created which helps us organize the author’s conception of the character of Jesus. The author employs these rhetorical topoi to demonstrate Jesus’ excellency and to exalt him above all other human beings. The author urges his audience to adopt his characterization of Jesus so that they could have the confidence and boldness to persevere in their Christian faith."

The article reflects a portion of my dissertation which is examining the characterization of Jesus in Hebrews from a rhetorical and literary perspective. The dissertation of course greatly expands upon what is contained in the article.

I want to publicly thank my advisor, and editor of PRSt, Mikeal Parsons, in whose class I first conceived the topic for this essay; Eric Mason, the editor of this special thematic issue on Hebrews, who accepted my article for publication and made helpful suggestions in editing the article for publication; and Alicia Myers, associate editor of PRSt, who did much of the formatting work to prepare the article for publication.

As noted, this issue of PRSt is a thematic issue on Hebrews. Eric Mason has an introductory essay entitled "Emerging Voices on the Epistle to the Hebrews." Other articles in the issue are:

Eric F. Mason, "The Epistle (Not Necessarily) to the 'Hebrews': A Call to Renunciation of Judaism or Encouragement to Christian Commitment."

Bryan J. Whitfield, "The Three Joshuas of Hebrews 3 and 4."

Amy L. B. Peeler, "The Ethos of God in Hebrews."

David M. Moffitt, "Unveiling Jesus' Flesh: A Fresh Assessment of the Relationship Between the Veil and Jesus' Flesh in Hebrews 10:20."

Mark A. Jennings, "The Veil and the High Priestly Robes of the Incarnation: Understanding the Context of Heb 10:20."

I personally know some of these other people and am proud to have my article appear in the same issue with them.

7 comments:

  1. Brian,

    Well done! Would it be possible to get a copy of your article via email? If not, I understand completely.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, send me your email. It won't be posted on here because I screen comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Brian!

    Chris Bounds

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris. I didn't know you were reading my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anyway to get a copy of the whole issue?
    Thanks Tom
    Painfullyfake@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only way I know to get a complete issue is to contact PRS and order a copy:

    http://www.baylor.edu/prs/

    ReplyDelete