Friday, November 6, 2009

Hebrews and Hermeneutics

This post is in response to a inquiry by Andrew Bourne. I reposted the last post and so I am not able to publish the comments. Andrew wrote:

"Brian I am sorry to ask a question away from the particular subject. I am a MA in Theology student in the UK. I am preparing to do my 12,000 word dissertation and wish to do on `Hebrews and Hermeneutics`. I am aware of G Hughes monograph and in process of getting hold of it. Preliminary discussion with my possible supervisor is which to emphasise `Hebrews` or `Hermeneutics` which I am exploring. I would be very grateful for any advice with your apparent expertise in this letter. I look forward for your reply, if you feel unable do not worry. Thanks for your Blog site I find it very useful"

This is a rather broad question. What aspect of hermeneutics do you want to focus on? I know of at least two other books on hermeneutics:

Dale F. Leschert. Hermeneutical Foundations of Hebrews: A Study in the Validity of the Epistle's Interpretation of Some Core Citations from the Psalms. Edwin Mellen Press, 1994.

Herbert W. Bateman, IV. Early Jewish Hermeneutics and Hebrews 1:5-13: The Impact of Early Jewish Exegesis on the Interpretation of a Significant New Testament Passage. Peter Lang, 1997.

Perhaps these two books, along with Hughes', may help to focus your own investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment